Rockin’ Yoga with Kira Willey
Using the magic of music, rhythm and song to create incredibly fun and engaging kids’ yoga classes! In this dynamic and experiential workshop – full of immediately actionable ideas – award-winning musician Kira Willey will teach you how to incorporate music, rhythm and song seamlessly into your classes in order to:
- Completely engage (and keep!) kids’ attention
- Use music as a teaching tool, without losing control of the group
- Create predictable, calming structure
- Ease transitions
- Give children tools to release stress and anxiety
- Help children focus their energy
Kira will demonstrate her teaching methods using original music from her five albums of kids’ yoga songs, as well as playing live. She’ll guide you in creating your own rhythm games, call & response activities, and songs which will captivate children, and serve as musical “touchstones” throughout your classes. There’s absolutely no musical experience necessary, Kira’s an expert at making these techniques immediately accessible, and FUN, for everyone!
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- How music and rhythm help focus the brain
- How to combine music and movement to fully engage kids
- How to use music to create predictable, calming structure for children
- How to build community through music
- How to use music to help teach mindfulness
- How music and memory work together to help kids retain information
- How to use “hooks” & refrains to create memorable rhythm games and songs
You’ll have a blast trying these techniques in breakout groups, and will leave totally inspired, with tons of use-it-now ideas to incorporate into your classes right away!
THIS WORKSHOP INCLUDES
- A downloadable playlist of Kira’s most loved songs for kids’ yoga and movement
- Downloadable pdfs of the course material
- Entry into a drawing to win a set of Kira’s board books series: Mindfulness Moments for Kids!
CE HOURS / APPROVED PROVIDERS
Trainings are valid for Yoga Alliance CE hours and possible CEUs or PDPs from your credentialing organization.
Teachers interested in earning graduate-level, professional development semester units/credits for completion of a ChildLight Education Company training may contact: Courses4Teachers/University of the Pacific, 925 837.3817, Courses4Teachers@Courses4Teachers.net
ChildLight Education Company is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
ABOUT KIRA WILLEY
Kira Willey, author of Breathe Like a Bear and the Mindfulness Moments for Kids series, is a children’s music artist, kids’ yoga and mindfulness teacher, and creator of Rockin’ Yoga school programs. She has released five albums of kids’ yoga and mindfulness songs; her work has won Parents’ Choice Gold, Independent Music and International Songwriting Awards, as well as the ASCAP Foundation Children’s Songwriting Award. Her hits include “Colors,” which was featured in a worldwide Dell ad campaign. Kira created and hosts several yoga-for-kids programs which air on PBS TV affiliates nationwide; and her TEDx talk, “Bite-Sized Mindfulness,” can be viewed online. Learn more at kirawilley.com!
Music Industry Awards:
Dance for the Sun: Parents’ Choice Award, two Children’s Music Web Awards, JPF Award for Best Children’s Song: “Colors”
Kings & Queens of the Forest: Independent Music Award for Best Children’s Song: “Roller Coaster,” Parents’ Choice Award, Vox Pop Award for Best Children’s Album
How to be a Cloud: Parents’ Choice GOLD Award. In heavy rotation on Sirius XM’s Kids Place Live
Mindful Moments for Kids: Parents’ Choice GOLD Award. In heavy rotation on Sirius XM’s Kids Place Live
"This training will absolutely make me a better therapist which translates to a more effective therapist. My teens will experience less suffering. If that isn't worth it then I don't know what is."
Kids Can Groove